Autore Messaggio
 Oggetto del messaggio: Hello from France
MessaggioInviato: 28/11/2012, 17:34 
Non connesso

Body: Canon EOS 50D
Ottiche: Sigma 28-300 - Canon 18-55 - Vivitar 100-400
Spotter Type: Scienziato
Hi there,

I'm Ludovic Bechler, 20 y.o from [LFSB] Bâle-Mulhouse.
With my girl friend we are intersted in planespotting in FCO next January.
Which are the best spotting (knowing we have no car, but we aren't affraid by long walk) for wide body ? for local trafic ?
Are the authories spotter friendly over there ?

Thank's

Oggetto del messaggio: Re: Hello from France
MessaggioInviato: 28/11/2012, 18:16 
Non connesso

Body: Nikon D7000
Ottiche: 70-300mm VR 18-105mm VR
Spotter Type: Chirurgo
: Welcome : Welcome Ludovic!

eap-spotter ha scritto:
Which are the best spotting (knowing we have no car, but we aren't affraid by long walk) for wide body ?

We have a map with all the best spotting point here:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=it&msa=0&t=h&msid=110113520345334607980.00047d099ccbbef8a1d49&ll=41.813802,12.277222&spn=0.093398,0.174236&z=13
eap-spotter ha scritto:

Unfortunately the local and airport police doesn't allow to stay near the fence so if they see you may ask to get away.
But don't worry, we have also spotting location from bar's terrace and raised positions away from the fence.

For arrival and departure time of all the most popular flight in FCO you can download this list: www.romaspotters.it/guide/schedulazioni.xlsx.zip
Have fun in Rome!

Regards,
Andrea

MessaggioInviato: 28/11/2012, 18:36 
Non connesso
RSC Team
RSC Team

Body: Canon
Ottiche: Canon
Welcome on Roma Spotters Club's forum!

and-pilot ha scritto:
eap-spotter ha scritto:

Unfortunately the local and airport police doesn't allow to stay near the fence so if they see you may ask to get away.
But don't worry, we have also spotting location from bar's terrace and raised positions away from the fence.

This is not correct! At the moment there are no particular problems with the authorities. In the past there have been some problems with them.
Generally they let you to stay near the fence even if I advise you to stay five meters far from it and when the aircraft is coming you move near.
The only problem is in the morning when ElAl flights are operated and the police ask you to go away (at 99%).

Airplane-pictures.net
Flickr

MessaggioInviato: 28/11/2012, 19:03 
Non connesso

pise ha scritto:
[...]
The only problem is in the morning when ElAl flights are operated and the police ask you to go away (at 99%).

Okay, like in many other airports :booooh

and-pilot ha scritto:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=it&msa=0&t=h&msid=110113520345334607980.00047d099ccbbef8a1d49&ll=41.813802,12.277222&spn=0.093398,0.174236&z=13

For arrival and departure time of all the most popular flight in FCO you can download this list: www.romaspotters.it/guide/schedulazioni.xlsx.zip

Thank's for your answer !
I just have a look on your map, and i saw the 'Welcome Airport Hotel' and i contact us by mail. What do you think of have a stay there ? According to the description the major parts of the movements are donable from the terrace there no ?

Thank's

MessaggioInviato: 29/11/2012, 12:44 
Non connesso
RSC Team
RSC Team

eap-spotter ha scritto:
pise ha scritto:
[...]

Okay, like in many other airports :booooh

and-pilot ha scritto:

Thank's for your answer !
I just have a look on your map, and i saw the 'Welcome Airport Hotel' and i contact us by mail. What do you think of have a stay there ? According to the description the major parts of the movements are donable from the terrace there no ?

Thank's

First of all consider that the typical operation day at FCO consist on a lot of 25 take-offs with most heavies probably on 16R (even if this is not a rule) and landings on 16L for the national and european arrivals and on 16R for the non-schengen arrivals.
The same if there is northern wind with the 34 R/L runways.

The "Terrazza API" spotting point, where the hotel is places, is a good place in the summer when the sun goes on the right side of the 25 RWY. In the winter season the sun is always on the opposite side of the spotting point's so the terrace is good only for the 16R movements from 11:00-12:00 AM to sunset. All the 25 take-offs are backlit. Also in the early morning where a lot of heavies arrivals are scheduled this spotting point is backlit.
In the winter the best place to catch 25 take off is the "Ponticello" spotting point but I do not advise you to walk there because "Coccia di Morto" road is very dangerous and there is no sidewalk even if the distance is not so far.

What about the days would you like to come here?

Airplane-pictures.net
Flickr

MessaggioInviato: 29/11/2012, 15:07 
Non connesso

pise ha scritto:

The "Terrazza API" spotting point, where the hotel is places, is a good place in the summer when the sun goes on the right side of the 25 RWY. In the winter season the sun is always on the opposite side of the spotting point's so the terrace is good only for the 16R movements from 11:00-12:00 AM to sunset. All the 25 take-offs are backlit. Also in the early morning where a lot of heavies arrivals are scheduled this spotting point is backlit.
In the winter the best place to catch 25 take off is the "Ponticello" spotting point but I do not advise you to walk there because "Coccia di Morto" road is very dangerous and there is no sidewalk even if the distance is not so far.

What about the days would you like to come here?

For the exactly days i don't really know, we'll be there for almost a week (probably 14th-20th January) but we also come for tourism so we will only spend 2 days i think at the airport. Which days are the "best" ? I would like to catch AZ heavies, especially both Skyteam.

Thank's for your help. I just cheked on google maps from the Welcome Airport Hotel to the "Ponticello" it's not possible to walk in the 'wild' between the road and the fence ? :mmmmmh

MessaggioInviato: 30/11/2012, 17:55 
Non connesso
RSC Team
RSC Team

Regarding AZ heavies there are not so many problems due to daily flight scheduled.
Early morning arrival on 16R are scheduled between 6:30-8:30 with A330 or B777 (767 have been phased out). Departure flights are scheduled on the two hours later on 16R or 25 depending on weather condition.

Other arrival flights from Beijing (332), Los Angeles and New York (both with 772) are scheduled in the second half of the morning (11:30-12:30). Moreover departure flight to Japan (Tokyo and Osaka with 777 and 332) and to New York (772) are scheduled in the afternoon (14:30-15:00).

Other arrivals or departures are scheduled in the late hours of afternoon or of the day when the sun is below the horizon. 777 SkyTeam livery is EI-DDH and generally it operates one of the flight I told you. Check it on libhomeradar.org so it's more possible for you to catch it. B767 Skyteam is no longer in service.

Other heavies are scheduled in the day but it depends on what you are looking for. Over US airlines, also Singapore Airlines (772), Cathay (343), Thai, Aerolinas Argentinas (343 or 342), Sri Lankan (332 or 343), Emirates (380), Qatar (332 or 333), Air Transat (332 or 310), Air Canada (767 or 333), Kuwait Airlines (343 or 300), Neos (763), Blu Panorama (763) and Air Italy/Eurofly (332, 762 or 763) operates on FCO with wide bodies. I've not considered chinese's airline because they are scheduled to land at 18:00-19:00 PM later sunset in January.

eap-spotter ha scritto:
Thank's for your help. I just cheked on google maps from the Welcome Airport Hotel to the "Ponticello" it's not possible to walk in the 'wild' between the road and the fence ? :mmmmmh

Regarding the fence, do you mean on the airport side between the road and the airport's fence?
You can walk there but between the fence and the road there is a small channel so it's impossible to cross. The only bridges are located one at the "Ponticello" spotting point and the other at the 16R threshold. Unfortunately the terrace is in the middle between them.

Keep us informed when you come here. Maybe some local spotters are around FCO that day!

Airplane-pictures.net
Flickr

Tutti gli orari sono UTC+02:00